Our Community History
As we reflect on the current FACE of Saint Olaf School, we can't help but notice that our FACE acronym has been there from the very beginning. We've been building on it for 60 years. The Faith in our face began with the recognition of a great need for a church in South Davis County to serve the small Catholic Christian community that was forced to travel to SLC or Ogden for Mass. The original 3 Father's assigned here first established Saint Olaf as a Mission. They traveled throughout Davis County in a mobile trailer Chapel teaching, serving, and bringing Mass to this community. The name of the Viking king and patron saint of Norway, was selected by Bishop Duane G. Hunt in recognition of the Scandinavian residents of Utah.
The faithful service of these original Father's and those that followed lead to the C in community, which had become large enough to require a parish to gather. On September 1, 1949, the mission of Saint Olaf became a parish. Several properties were purchased and were outgrown as our community thrived. On March 20, 1955, Father John J. Sullivan purchased a house and 5 acres of land at 1795 Orchard Drive for the future church and school. Those here at the time say it was with great faith that the community pushed forward as they were not exactly "welcomed" in this area and even had to purchase the property under a private citizen name and not as a church. Another story illustrates the quick thinking of Father Robert Pollock who saved the property from being divided in half by the city by placing the church in its current spot on the edge of 1800 South, forcing a curve in the road as the property remained mostly intact.
The A in academics was also a part of the original community of Saint Olaf as they sought a place for their children to grow, learn, and flourish in a protected environment where they could build on their faith and learn to serve. On March 14, 1959, the ground was broken for the current school building that served as both church and school for almost 20 years. Three Sisters from the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent DePaul arrived in Bountiful to teach in the fall of 1960. The school opened with five grades and a kindergarten, staffed by two teaching Sisters and three lay teachers. During the following three years, grades six, seven and eight were added. While there are no sisters associated with the school at the present time, their founding charism of service continues to be a primary value of the school's mission.